Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Just a Face

Acrylic on canvas 20 x 16 inches
 For a long time drawing and painting were two separate functions for me.  I remember taking early painting class where teachers wanted you to carefully draw out on the watercolor paper or canvas, the painting before applying paint.  The work from these class always felt tight and dead to me. 
   This last year I took a class where it was suggested to do a rough black and white sketch on a small paper, just to try out composition ideas before painting.
This plan worked out very well.  There was no drawing done on the canvas, only rough ideas on a separate paper. 
   I have started applying this to simply ideas, and find it helps more than ever.
This painting started with just an idea drawing.



Mary
Schiros_Art

1 comment:

  1. Nice painting. Nice drawing.
    Good method!
    Really like your color palette.

    ReplyDelete