Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Look

Completed oil on Ampersand panel 14 x 11 inches

                                            Available in DWP auctions



Painting involves a lot of time spent just looking.  Looking at the subject, understanding the light, shadows, shapes and colors, because after all those are characteristics make a good work of art. 
    Often, after finishing a painting section, I set the painting somewhere to view easily.  And after looking at it for awhile,  I decide it is done, other times there is a growing feeling something is missing.  Having the painting somewhere I can view it at different times of the day, under different light and with different moods the missing part becomes obvious.
   This painting is an example, I loved the subject and the colors and thought I was done, but after a few days got that feeling it was missing something.  Then it became obvious the composition was missing something…balance.  I added the flower and it felt complete.
   So take time and really look at your work, it sometimes has more to tell you.

Before...
and after.


   Here are the before and after pics...

No comments:

Post a Comment