Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Some more Painting tips

Oil on canvas "Black and White Study"
I painted this one for the Daily Paint Works challenge this week.  But it was a good reminder that working out ideas in just black and white can be a good practice.  Doing this reminds me how important having a range of values can be, instead of getting caught up just in colors.

   Another tip;  if you are working in oils, it is a good idea to have a safe place to pile paint rags while you are painting.  My husband made this for me, and it is a simple and helpful thing to have.  Get an empty paint can and lid, (I got mine at a local hardware store for a couple bucks), add a knob and there you go.  Linseed oil can spontaneously combust, and that is not something you want to have happen next to you while your painting.
Another tip, I mark all the lid of my paint tubes for quick reference.  An easy way to find that red tube of paint in a hurry.
And one last tip for those of you that work in oil and water media, like watercolor and acrylics.  Tag your brushes for the media they will be used in.  Also handy if you go to a class or workshop to keep your brushes marked and separated as yours.
One can never have too many brushes :)
Happy painting
Mary
Schiros-art.com


No comments:

Post a Comment