Saturday, February 14, 2015

A Series of Studies

Found a figurative pose that just ask to be painted.  I have done two studies so far, and plan more.

For one I used Alizarin Yellow and Manganese violet, one of my favorite color combinations.  The Alizarin yellow makes a very intense warm glow.


The next painting the main colors are emerald green, caput mortuum  (violet-brown), brilliant yellow and magenta, which surprising created a cool blueish color palette.  Also with this painting I turned my photo reference up-side down and actually painted the entire painting up-side down.  I did that to stop myself from painting what I "thought" should be there, and just paint the lights and shadows as just that; lights and shadows.
These two paintings are oil on canvas 14 x 11 inches.  I am already starting another one but using water media and working a bit more abstract.  Hopefully I will be able to post that one in a day or two.  I am hoping this series of studies will lead to a larger finished painting.  With each painting I feel more comfortable with the subject and willing to see where the composition will lead.
Mary
Schiros-art.com

No comments:

Post a Comment