Sunday, March 31, 2013

Starting with Background

Girl and Her Cat, acrylic on paper, 14 x 11 inches
                                                                                                         Available on DPWs


I love to work on paper or canvas that has a lot of texture from gesso.
Some times I will spend a day just getting surfaces ready for painting, and set them aside to dry so they are ready to grab when I am in the mood to paint.
Once in a while the surface treatment will actually give me the idea for a painting.  When I use toned or color gesso and randomly spread it out, after spending some time just looking at the surface colors I will see suggestions of shapes and forms in it.
This is an example of that process. 
a mix of white and black gesso
starting to find the forms  


 
Adding color

No comments:

Post a Comment