Friday, August 30, 2013

Painting from photos

First Gold, 10 x 8 inches, acrylic on canvas


Most artist use photos as a tool for painting. A painter will sometimes grid out the photo and do a direct representation, or use the photo as a reference. 
 I have mixed feelings about using a photo; my gut feeling is the photo can be a crutch.  Painting to me is observing something and directly painting, or using my imagination and going from there.  Now having said that there are times I find a photo useful.  But, for a photo to be useful I still need to have seen with my own eyes what I plan to paint, or at the least pictured it in my mind before hand.


The Golden Shore, 10 x 8 inches, Acrylic on canvas
 
Golden Reeds, 12 x 16 inches, acrylic Sold


The paintings I am showing,The Golden Shore, and First Gold, and Golden Reeds, came from a couple good photos.  The location I am very familiar with so there is an image etched in my mind beyond the photo. 
  So, rule one know your subject well. 
 Also, the photo I have is a very good one.   
  Second rule; only use a good photo for reference.  A poor photo will often only help to create a poor painting.

Those are my thoughts on the subject, just wanted to share them with you.
Mary       Schiros_Art


The photos....


No comments:

Post a Comment