Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Loose not Fast


12 x 12 inch Acrylic on canvas
Available on Artspan

     Thought I would share some of the steps involved in painting this painting.  Many people think that a loose style is something created very quickly, just splashing paint around.  What is really involved is time and layering.


I first study the subject creating sketches 


One usually stands out more than the others, Liked the composition and contrast of this one.


From the sketch I start working a base of color and form.


After the the first layer dries I continue on refining the subject some negative painting and line work.


Again I wait for each layer to dry before refining the subject.  This is getting close to the end, a bit more refining, line and a bit of detail.  Detail are best saved for the last layer.

Hope you enjoyed seeing the process, plan to share more of this type of process with you soon.

Mary





1 comment: