Sunday, March 21, 2010

Saving sketches









Over the years, I have taken many life-drawing classes. This has always been important to me. The human figure is the most challenging and the most rewarding process of creating art. For art, involving the figure or the face must present knowledge. When people view art of the figure or face there is a critical view, everyone knows what makes a person or face seem believable, whether consciously or subconsciously. Even when a painting or drawing leans toward abstraction, the key elements are up for criticism. The more I draw the more I learn about expressing the figure.

Most life drawing courses involve what are called warm ups. The warm ups are several one to five minute drawings, then a longer time to make a completed drawing. I save almost all my drawings for reference. Sketches that at the time may seem like failures, often when reviewed later, in a different frame of mind, show potential. Those simple drawings I enjoy playing with digitally for ideas. Often there is a line or shape the stands out in those quick drawings that will inspire new work.

I thought I would share some of these with you, rough sketches, digitals and finished works. Hope this give you new ideas for some of your older drawings....that hopefully you saved?



1 comment: